What’s the best way to take a picture of my check?
If the image you snap isn’t clear enough, we’ll ask you to retake your check images. Here are some tips to get a better picture:
- Always use your camera’s focus so the image isn’t blurry.
- Capture all four corners of the check and make sure the edges aren’t cut off.
- Have plenty of lighting.
- Use a dark surface so the check doesn’t blend in with the background.
- Make sure the check is the only object in the picture.
- Don’t forget to sign the back of the check.
How do I endorse the back of my check?
If the check’s made out to just you, sign your name on the back. If the check’s made out to two people, the manner in which we'll be able to accept it is based upon whether the word "and" or the word "or" was used on the Made Paybable To Line. When in doubt, have both people sign the check. Here are some guidelines:
- When the word “AND” is used
- Example: John Smith AND Susan Smith
- The check can be accepted if:
- Both Customers are on the Capital One 360 account and only one Customer endorses the check
- The check will be rejected if:
- Only one Customer is on the account with us
- Only one Customer is on the Capital One 360 account and one or both people endorse the check
- When the word “OR” is used, this means either Customer can be involved
- Example: John Smith OR Susan Smith
- The check can be accepted as long as:
- Both Customers are on the account with us and there is no endorsement
- Both Customers are on the account with us and there is only one endorsement
- Both Customers are on the account with us and both people have endorsed the check
- Only one Customer is on the account with us and both people endorsed the check
- Only one Customer is on the account with us and there's only one endorsement by either person
If you tried to deposit a check using Mobile Deposit and it was rejected, just update the signatures on the back of the check based on the guidelines above and try again.
Banking, Credit Card, Auto Finance, and Home Loan products and services are offered by the Capital One family of companies, including Capital One Bank (USA), N.A. and Capital One, N.A. NMLS ID 453156, Members FDIC.
All entities are separate but affiliated legal entities of Capital One Financial Corporation, each is responsible for its own products and services.
Securities are offered by Capital One Investing, LLC, a registered broker-dealer and Member FINRAOpens a new window/SIPC Opens a new window
. Advisory services are provided by Capital One Advisors, LLC, an SEC registered investment advisor. Insurance products are offered through Capital One Agency LLC. All are subsidiaries of Capital One Financial Corporation.
Securities and services are: Not FDIC insured • Not bank guaranteed • May lose value • Not a deposit • Not Insured by any Federal Government Agency
© 2016 Capital One
. All rights reserved.